president

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dec. 5th, 2012
We had a bad night last night. Neither one of us slept very well. About 1:30 I got up because my stomach was hurting so bad that I couldn’t sleep. I had some Alka Seltzer so I took one. Within 5 minutes I was throwing up. Once I got all of that food out of me I felt much better. I went back to bed and was able to sleep a little. When I got up this morning I was weak, but I felt fine to we started out again.
Today was our day to teach one of the volunteers that come here for the missionaries to practice on. We were to teach a lady whose 14 year old son had committed suicide. She didn’t believe that there really was a God. I was a little nervous about that assignment. Yesterday we worked all afternoon on how to teach the Restoration, but you don’t know who you are going to teach until 5 minutes before you begin the teaching. The message of the Restoration just didn’t seem appropriate, so we followed the spirit and taught the Plan of Salvation. We also talked a lot about families and a little about eternal families. It turned out to be a very touching experience and I really loved the lady that we taught. Especially when I found out that her story was real, not made up like many of them are.
We ate very light meals today and I started to feel a little better. I have decided that my experience last night has a lot to do with my gall bladder being removed. I haven’t had any problems until now, but I have heard of people who have done just what I did. Eat too much and then throw up. It must affect the way your body is able to digest food. I will be much more careful from now on. Our classes are taught in the same building where the gym is. There is a walking track just above the gym. Alan and I go there between every class and walk a few laps. That has made me feel much better too.
After our classes were over we had language training. Our tutor is Jordan Gardner. He served his mission in New Zealand, but he served with the Tongan population there. He is also a newly wed. These kids are so cute! He is wonderful and kind. He doesn’t push us like our Russian tutor did and that makes the time spent with him actually enjoyable. He helped me a lot tonight and then I worked on what he had taught me while he worked with Alan. We are so far apart in what we know, that it is hard to teach both of us at the same time. He is very patient and makes learning the language not so stressful.
It was late again when we got back to the motel tonight. We just changed and went right to bed. We are exhausted at the end of the day. Every day so far has been at least a 12 hour day and that will continue through the rest of this week. We just aren’t used to this tough of a schedule. I had to laugh at dinner tonight, the missionaries are all going strong and the senior couples look like zombies. The new young missionaries arrived at the MTC today. What fun it is to see all of these young people ready and excited to be a part of the Lord’s army. We are in extremely good company!!