president

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Jan. 20th, 2013

It was a full Sunday! Church was really good. We have both said that we can’t believe how fast those 3 hours go. Maybe it is because we are so fascinated with the people and the beautiful music, but the time just seems to fly by. I was sustained to my two callings today and the people were all so nice. The sisters were hugging me and telling me how happy they were that I was going to be serving in the Relief Society. We have only been to church 4 times and yet we feel so loved and appreciated. I love the Tongan people. After the block was over the bishop called me in his office to set me apart. Alan was not invited and he was clear across the campus so I didn’t have time to go get him. They do things a little differently in Tonga! However, the bishop gave me the most beautiful blessing that I have ever had for a calling in the church. He is such a humble and spiritual man. He cried, I cried and the spirit was so strong. It was a very special experience. I just wish Alan had been there to witness it.
After church we went over to the school so that I could work on the blog and we could call the kids. I have been much more successful getting things on the blog on the weekends when school is out. We only got to talk to Bryan’s family and Greg. We couldn’t reach the others. Everyone seems to be doing fine. That’s good news for the parents and grandparents!
Once a month we have a dinner and a fireside at the Mission President’s house. It is just for the senior couples and the medical couples that are doing service missions here. It is a pot luck dinner. I cooked the rolls I made yesterday. They rose very fast in the heat and humidity, so I didn’t get to take them over hot. I had to cook them a couple of hours early. My oven is going to take some getting used to. The first batch looked like it was to done, the tops were very dark brown, but they were good. I turned the oven down a little and the second batch didn’t get fully cooked, only I didn’t know that. They were nice and brown on the top but not fully cooked on the bottom. I found that out at the dinner! That was embarrassing!! Oh well, the first batch was good and the tops of the second batch were good, so you get what you get. We’re in Tonga, “no worries”. I am really trying to adopt that philosophy.
The fireside was put on by the two medical service missionaries and their wives. They showed pictures of the places they have been, all over the world, and the work they have done. It went a little long, the dentist has been doing this for 12 years, but it was very interesting. It is amazing the service they have rendered in such primitive conditions and the sacrifices they have made to do it. Some of the people we have met are such great examples to us. It just makes us want to do more.